Jim Casey Youth Opportunity Initiative OPPORTUNITY PASSPORTTM SPECIALIST
The Baltimore City Department of Social Services is seeking an energetic team player with experience in child welfare, youth development, or related field. The successful candidate will assist in the coordination and implementation of the Jim Casey Youth Opportunities Initiative (a nationally-developed, comprehensive set of strategies to build financial capability and improve outcomes among youth transitioning from foster care to adulthood), and related efforts.
This position is fully GRANT funded for one year. Continued employment is contingent upon the availability of these funds. If funding ceases, the position will be abolished ending employment. This position is not entitled to benefits as provided to merit State employees.
Position Description: OPPORTUNITY PASSPORTTM SPECIALIST
This position is responsible for the implementation and oversight of the BCDSS Opportunity Passport™ program. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be involved in a wide range of programs, as well as assist in developing new strategies and approaches to improve outcomes among youth transitioning from foster care to adulthood.
Provide operational support for Opportunity Passport™ (a financial literacy and matched savings program for qualifying young people) in Baltimore City, including:
- Work collaboratively with internal and external partners to recruit and support individual participants; and maintain positive working relationships with key staff;
- Arranging for and delivering financial capability training to eligible youth;
- Monitoring and processing financial transactions of Opportunity Passport™ participants;
- Assist in data collection and monitoring activities to track program participation and outcomes, and assist with preparing and submitting various reports;
- Executing other Jim Casey Initiative activities as assigned.
- Content Expertise: Knowledge of Maryland’s child welfare and juvenile justice systems and services, especially those aspects affecting older youth in or transitioning from foster care or other placement; knowledge of positive youth development principles and experience in applying those principles in practice.
- Collaborative Relationships: Ability to work effectively with co-workers, external partners, and other professionals in various positions and capacities.
- Planning, Organizing and Prioritizing: Ability to plan and organize multiple tasks and activities, to make sounds decisions when prioritizing work; is well-organized and detail oriented.
- Innovation, Creativity and Problem-Solving: Ability to develop new and inventive ideas and solutions, methods, and procedures to improve individual and organizational performance.
- Utilizing and Communicating Data: Ability to access, understand, and communicate internal/external data to inform practice.
- Writing Skills and Oral Expression: Ability to speak with clarity and confidence; ability to write accurately and persuasively; experience in using electronic communications, including social media.
- Technical Aptitude: Knowledge and experience with personal computers, including familiarity with Microsoft Office (word processing, spreadsheet, database, email, and presentation software).